Washington, DC – Rep. John J. Duncan, Jr. (R-TN), Chairman of the Committee’s Panel on 21stCentury Freight Transportation, will hold the panel’s first hearing next Wednesday on the importance of freight transportation to the U.S. economy, the current operation of the freight network, what challenges impact its performance, and what can be done to improve the efficiency and safety of freight transportation.
The hearing is scheduled to begin at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 in 2167 Rayburn House Office Building.
At the beginning of the 113th Congress, Duncan was named Vice Chairman of the Committee and tasked with chairing special panels. Earlier this week, the membership of the Panel on 21st Century Freight Transportation was named. According to the rules of the Committee, the special panel will serve for a period of six months, beginning with its first hearing.
Witnesses invited to testify at the hearing:
· Fred Smith, Chairman, President, and CEO, FedEx Corporation
· Wick Moorman, Chairman, Norfolk Southern
· James Newsome, President and CEO, South Carolina Ports Authority
· Derek Leathers, President, Werner Enterprises
· Edward Wytkind, President, Transportation Trades Department, AFL-CIO
More information about the hearing, including testimony, additional background information, and link to a live webcast, will be posted here as it becomes available.